Friday, April 30, 2010

Fangoria Fans Finally Find an Online Project of Their Own

As my Starlog Project (in this blog and on its permanent site has grown (currently at issue #83), I've seen the enthusiasm people have for this classic science-fiction magazine they read as a child, as a teen, and well into their adult lives. It has also been enjoyable for me to go through these 30-year-old magazines and chronicle their content, design, the big movies and TV shows they covered, and more.

In an earlier post on this blog, I noted that I probably wouldn't have time to do a similar project for Starlog's sister magazine Fangoria, but I knew there were many -- dare I say rabid? -- fans of Fangoria, and surely one of them would do that magazine proud by chronicling its many issues. Now it looks like Don Guarisco is doing just that over at Schlockmania. Guarisco writes a comprehensive and entertaining profile of each issue, putting it in perspective for its time and describing the articles; he's not afraid to call the magazine on the carpet when he thinks they underperformed (or just weirdly performed -- anyone really want Disney's The Black Hole covered in Fango?). He's on issue #4 at the time of this writing, so it's still early days. If you're a reader of Fangoria or were in the past, now's a great time to climb aboard this nostalgia train.

I'm glad to see someone's taken on the Fangoria project.

So that's one thing I can cross off my to-do list ...

From WEIMAR WORLD SERVICE

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's awesome. I really love FANGORIA in the earl years. I'm glad someone is doing for it what you're doing for STARLOG. Now, if we can only find someone to do the same thing for CINEFANTASTIQUE.

jzipperer said...

And Comics Scene! (Of course, I've already done it for Future Life)
I'm sure someone out there has thought about doing it for the legendary Famous Monsters -- now's a good time to start it, just a couple months before that magazine returns to life.

Schlockmaniac #1 said...

John, your kind-hearted encouragement is much appreciated. I'm also glad to see someone doing a comprehensive retrospective for Starlog. You've done a great job thus far - looks like I've got a bunch of catching up to do!