Sunday, September 27, 2009

Why Is Hearst Cover-Text-Crazy?


I recently mocked the venerable Esquire magazine for its repetitive and unimaginative cover designs, which are filled with (usually uninteresting) text.

Today, on a whim, I clicked through the link on Esquire's home page to all of the Hearst subscription offers, and I had one thought: Hearst itself is madly in love with excessive cover text, isn't it? Click on the image above to get a better view.

I remember my mother coming home after her magazine (yeah, it's a family trade) had been critiqued by a design pro. He had praised her magazine for meeting his rule of no more than three cover blurbs. Now, I don't think three cover blurbs is a realistic rule for a newsstand periodical, but you've gotta be able to do better than some of the Hearst titles, right?

Note to Hearst: You pay your writers by the word, not your designers ...

No comments: